FAYETTEVILLE–Tuesday morning, an injunction and temporary restraining order was filed by Fayetteville High School against the TSSAA that makes the previously ineligible player now eligible at Fayetteville. The injunction and temporary restraining order make the player eligible until a legal ruling is made on the matter.
Fayetteville principal Adam McCormick said that the school will present its case in front of a “court of law to be conducted at a later date.” A special-called Board of Control meeting scheduled for today was supposedly cancelled as a result of the injunction and restraining order.
Below is a document dated September 9, 2019 in which the TSSAA verifies the eligibility of a student-athlete that had a bona fide change of address. This letter seems to have been the basis for the injunction as it did verify eligibility that has since been disputed by the TSSAA.
In an interview with The Tennessean, TSSAA Assistant Director Matthew Gillespie said that he expects that the hearing for the case would come, “in the next few days.” He also confirmed that the TSSAA had not yet received court papers, but they had received an email from the school’s attorney about the injunction that was filed.
Fayetteville was forced to concede six of it’s first seven games due to an eligibility issue with the player in question. Fayetteville was 9-0 before the vacated results. After the concession of wins, their record sat at 3-6, which would force them to miss the playoffs.
Stay with SETN Preps for the latest developments in this ongoing story.